Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Apostrophes in Sphider Suggest = not found

Posted by BrentEades 
Apostrophes in Sphider Suggest = not found
May 07, 2013 05:01PM
Here's an odd one.

Whenever Sphider Suggest shows a keyword that contains an apostrophe, clicking on that link always produces a 'not found' error. For example, if the suggestions are:

Toronto 4 results
Toronto's 1 result

I'll get:

'The search "toronto's" did not match any documents'

Suggestions?
Tec
Re: Apostrophes in Sphider Suggest = not found
May 07, 2013 05:12PM
The suggest framework is using another search algorithm, than the main algorithm, which is responsible to create the search results. Consequently they are producing independent results. Additionally the main search algorithm of original Sphider does not accept any special characters like dots, hyphens, apostrophes, etc.

Tec
June 08, 2013 10:21AM
Thanks a lot for this hints and this topic.
Helped me a lot to understand the funktions a little more.

Is there a way to change the suggestions words within the database or maybe clean "strange" or not useable word?

_()_
Johann
Tec
June 08, 2013 11:26AM
The suggest framework is using the same keywords (which had been stored during index procedure), like the search algorithm. In case you like to 'clean' the keywords in database, please have a look at Sphider-plus, which is offering the usage of a black list, as well as a 'ignored word' option.
http://www.sphider-plus.eu/index.php?f=14#14_47

Tec
June 08, 2013 12:17PM
Thanks a lot Tec,

I thought so, but it seems that it has just a different formating or is the "Did you mean suggestion later on a different ressource? As this seems to fit better with the actual content of the indexed.
Very useful to know all this and thanks for the addvice to sphider-plus. I did not recognice that this is a further development. Seems to be "another" great tool, thought of that I came already in touch.

Please keep up your great work not to speak about the generous support!

_()_
mudita!
Johann
Tec
June 08, 2013 04:42PM
'Did you mean' is also based on the keywords stored in database during index procedure. But 'Did you mean' tries to build up the etymon of the query entered into the search form and will offer any keyword found in database 'close to' the etymon.
Thus, the 'suggest framework' and the 'did you mean' software are working independently and using different algorithm.

Tec
June 08, 2013 06:30PM
Thanks a lot for the further explaining, Tec.

So if I understand it a little in and in simply words (sould not little the actual work behind all this):

The "suggest framework" function take everything avaliable in a specific database and makes a suggestion without much "thinking" (prossess work) and while the "did you mean" suggestion is based on some "thinking" (process work) which is based on a little more previous work, but at least the search it self will give the matches with a even more complex way of "thinking" and comparison.

Understandable, otherwise there would be really no different between the suggestions and the final hit.

_()_
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login