Pho
Getting started in GoDaddy
October 21, 2014 04:28PM
Hello everyone,
I want to start by saying that I know little to nothing about php and mysql because I only recently started to study, so please please please be patient (:
This is what's going on:

· I have a simple webhosting in GoDaddy, a website with <30 pages;
· I created a database in the dedicated section of cPanel, and I created a user and a password to manage my database;
· I downloaded Sphider and put the folder in the public_html folder on the File Manager;
· I edited the "auth" file and the "database" file in order to have the proper data on it;
· now I just need to launch the install.php BUT id doesn't work.

I can't wrap my head around this, I tried looking for solutions all around the web and I can't find any, maybe I'm typing the wrong words but still I'm stuck.
If I write localhost/sphider/admin/install.php in my url bar there's no way to get it to work, still the server on my GoDaddy page is stated to be exactly "localhost".
I can't figure out where I'm going wrong: my user and pw are different words so that's not the problem I suppose; every other thing I do in my file manager works just fine.
I'm getting frustrated. On the GoDaddy Help section there's a freaking VIDEO tutorial - 10 mins - telling me that I have to put my password in the field called "password" when creating a new database, and not a single line that I can find to help me deal with serious issues.
If this is a silly problem, again, please be patient, I'm sure it might be but I still don't know how to fix it so to me, it's kind of a big deal...

Thanks in advance to all of you who will read/answer smiling smiley
Tec
Re: Getting started in GoDaddy
October 21, 2014 05:39PM
As far as I know, GoDaddy offers server, which are prepared to work on the Internet. 'localhost' might be a folder containing files and scripts (on the GoDaddy server), but addressing files/scripts on the Internet, need to be invoked by http://
So, in any case you need to replace 'localhost' with the URL, which you booked at GoDaddy.
Something like
http://www.my_domain_name.com/sphider/admin/install.php

Tec
Pho
October 21, 2014 07:07PM
Thank you so much for your answer. I finally managed to get it started - simply by changing the name of the folder the admin was in - and then changing it back to the way it was before, sphider. No idea why or how this worked but it did.
However, now I get the following message:

Sphider installation script.

Error: Table 'sites' already exists
Error: Table 'links' already exists
Error: Table 'keywords' already exists
Error: Table 'link_keyword0' already exists
Error: Table 'link_keyword1' already exists
Error: Table 'link_keyword2' already exists
Error: Table 'link_keyword3' already exists
Error: Table 'link_keyword4' already exists
Error: Table 'link_keyword5' already exists
Error: Table 'link_keyword6' already exists
Error: Table 'link_keyword7' already exists
Error: Table 'link_keyword8' already exists
Error: Table 'link_keyword9' already exists
Error: Table 'link_keyworda' already exists
Error: Table 'link_keywordb' already exists
Error: Table 'link_keywordc' already exists
Error: Table 'link_keywordd' already exists
Error: Table 'link_keyworde' already exists
Error: Table 'link_keywordf' already exists
Error: Table 'categories' already exists
Error: Table 'site_category' already exists
Error: Table 'temp' already exists
Error: Table 'pending' already exists
Error: Table 'domains' already exists
Creating tables failed. Consult the above error messages.

I have no idea why since I haven't created any table in my database, I just created it and set the user's data. Any idea why?
Thanks again for helping me out! smiling smiley
Tec
October 21, 2014 08:17PM
<<< I finally managed to get it started - simply by changing the name of the folder the admin was in - and then changing it back to the way it was before, sphider >>>
Sorry, but I do not understand your above cited phrase. Unable to follow you. No http:// URL?

<<< Error: Table 'xyz' already exists >>>

Such error messages means that you already ran the .../admin/install.php script before. Once initializing this script, all tables will be created in database. Any further attempt to install the tables again, will be answered with the above error message. Just ignore it and continue to install your Sphider search engine.

Next:
Open the script …/admin/admin.php
in your browser and add the URL to be indexed into the 'Sites' view.

Then next:
Individualize the options in 'Settings' menue for your application and then index the URL you placed into the 'Sites' view of your admin backend.
And so on.

Tec
Pho
October 21, 2014 08:56PM
Yes, what I meant is: I used the same url I was using when I was getting the error, but it worked after I changed the name of the folder in the GoDaddy cPanel - even if it ended up with the same name, while changing it something worked. I have no idea why this happened, all I know is that sometimes GoDaddy does this to me. Sometimes pictures/files don't show up in the browser, and when I change the name they do, even if the name is exactly the same...the simple fact of editing it somehow works. It has no logical reason to me :|

Anyway thank you for your answer, I saw that the tables were actually already created and now I can proceed. Thanks so much for helping me out, sorry if I asked silly questions, I hope with a little more practice I will be able to sort things out on my own smiling smiley Thank you and have a nice day!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login