Sphider for Wordpress
October 05, 2015 11:03AM
Are there any plans to revive the Wordpress plugin? I see it hasn't been updated since 2009 and a brief trial shows it isn't compatible with the current WP [4.3.1] data file structure.

To be able to search PDFs & docs from within would be so incredibly useful.

Any views would be much appreciated!
Tec
Re: Sphider for Wordpress
October 05, 2015 07:24PM
The original Sphider is unsupported since 2008. I am afraid that Ando will not reenter into this search engine after all the years, and continue his development.

Tec
rap
October 07, 2015 04:11AM
Updating the WordPress version is probably possible, but very time consuming, essentially being a rewrite. The existing WP version uses the MySQL extension. The current WordPress now uses their own db class, loosely based on EZSQL. So updating the app is more involved than just rewritting for MySQLi.

I started on a revision, but have put it on hold until I get a better grasp of how WordPress does things. Not much of a WordPress user myself, so that is a major hitch.

Because of the different functions used by the wpdb class, as opposed to mysql or mysqli, some logic trees have to be redone to achieve the desired results. And considering the condition of the 1.3.6 code, that is no easy task.

Plus security considerations...

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2015 05:48AM by rap.
rap
October 17, 2015 06:07AM
UPDATE: 6-Dec-2015

Having initially abandoned any hope of updating the horribly outdated Sphider for Wordpress, I concentrated on getting the regular Sphider fully functional in today's environment.

Having finally accomplished that goal, I have returned to a Wordpress version.

The 1.3.4.2 was hopeless, so I am looking to convert my NEW working Sphider to work with Wordpress.

Now ALL the sql that ported so well to the mysqli extension with prepared statements have to be converted to the wpdb class.

This is no small task!

However, that said, I HAVE gotten a FEW of the queries converted, ones very early on in the process, and ...

THINGS LOOK VERY ENCOURAGING!!!!

The primary admin screen comes up, and I can add a site. I can view the settings, and the database details. Now this is a LONG way from modifying a site, indexing a site, creating categories, viewing statistics, etc., and an even longer way from searching anything.

Just enough has been accomplished to make a proof of concept, the methodology is good.

Maybe in a month or two, I will be able to report a USABLE Sphider for Wordpress.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2015 02:42AM by rap.
rap
October 22, 2015 11:38PM
I got an updated Sphider for Wordpress working!

Besides testing the daylights out of the thing, there are two issues:
1) Suggest is not functioning... yet. Suggestions work in regular Sphider, so I must have muffed up some code in the conversion.

2) Not really a Sphider issue, but a javascript issue... the admin screens keep growing in width with every page load or refresh. It is a frame issue from javascript. View the frame in a separate tab and the screen size is stable. As a frame within the context of the rest of Wordpress, the frame grows and the admin screens grow with it. Reminds me of chicken heart....

But I can add, modify, and delete sites. I can add, modify, and delete categories. I can index sites. I can search, even wildcards. I can backup the database. Did-you-mean works. I can view statistics and browse pages.

There is definitely hope!!!
------------------------------------------------------------------
UPDATE: 23 December 2015

When adding or updating a post, sphider now automatically does a reindex for that post. Bug in that everytime it does a new entry is made in the domains table leading to duplicate domains. That SHOULD be an easy fix. Still can't get suggest to work when entering a query, but otherwise things seem to be working fairly smoothly.

UPDATE: 26 December 2015

A working beta of an updated Sphider for Wordpress is available upon request at http://www.blog.worldspaceflight.com. The only thing NOT working yet is suggestions.

The regular Sphider is also available on the same site, Downloads tab. It features enhanced security (prepared statements, data sanitization), faster database restores from backup, updated code in which ALL deprecated code has been removed. Includes a User's Guide. Requires AT LEAST PHP 5.4 and mysqli extension.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2015 01:43AM by rap.
t-p
October 25, 2015 01:37AM

I did for the regular sphider to make it PHP 5.6 and MySQL 5.6 compliant.

Is it available? I would love to try it smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login