Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Default to Basic Search

Posted by use310350 
Default to Basic Search
August 08, 2016 02:28PM
Is there a setting that will default the search form to the Basic rather than Advanced search, i.e., start up with just the query text box and a link to Show Advanced? I see a setting labeled "Always show the advanced part of search form (Shows 'AND/OR/PHRASE/TOLERANT/MEDIA' etc.)" that will never show the Basic search form, but would like a counter-setting (mutually exclusive) to always start the user in Basic (AND Boolean) mode, since many of my users are intimidated by the four Advanced modes and usually don't need to change the highlighting color or number of results per page.
Tec
Re: Default to Basic Search
August 08, 2016 04:29PM
Well, this is really a simple question, with a very simple answer:
Just have a look at the admin backend of your Sphider installation.
In 'Settings' menu, you will find the option
'Advanced search (shows and/or)'
To be found in section 'Search settings'.
You only need to uncheck this option.

Tec
August 08, 2016 06:23PM
One would think so, but in my 3.2016c version of /sphider/admin/admin.php?f=settings#set_5, there is no such setting. Just the one check box I mentioned in the OP, labeled "Always show the advanced part of search form." Even ran a ctrl-f search to find the phrase you mentioned and nothing came up.
Tec
August 08, 2016 10:28PM
It might have slipped your attention, but this is the forum for the original Sphider.
For all your questions concerning Sphider-plus, please feel free to use the forum at
http://www.sphider-plus.eu/phorum/index.php?f=40

Tec
August 09, 2016 12:06PM
You're correct, I selected the wrong forum. I will redirect the question.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login