Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

partial re-index?

Posted by fneumeier 
partial re-index?
March 18, 2007 12:55PM
Hi,

Is there a way to re-index a site, by just adding NEW pages instead if re-indexing the whole site? I'm running a message board where content is added every day, so I don't want to re-index all the 10.000+ old messages but just the newly added ones ...

Thanks.
Franz

P.S.: I love Sphider - exactly what I was looking for since a long time.
Re: partial re-index?
March 19, 2007 01:51PM
> I'm running a message board where content is added
> every day, so I don't want to re-index all the
> 10.000+ old messages but just the newly added ones
How do you intend to find the new pages, would you insert them manually to be indexed?
March 30, 2007 06:03PM
Yes, I'd either add them manually or with pattern (e.g. RegEx). For new static pages, simply adding them manually would be the easiest way. In case of e.g. new blog or forum entries, I'd have a little plug-in for the blog/forum software that adds the new URL to a list whixh I can ad for spidering manually, for example once per week or so.
March 31, 2007 08:14PM
Well then you can just add the page as a site...
April 01, 2007 10:14AM
>Well then you can just add the page as a site...

Very simple, though I didn't think of this ;-) Works great for single new static pages, but I suppose I'm ending up with hundreds of sites when I add new forum/message board postings this way.

What really would help in general is a re-index function that doesn't delete all previous index entries, but adds new pages to an already existing index.

Thanks for your help so far.
Franz
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login