Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Strange search question.

Posted by athensley 
Strange search question.
July 01, 2010 06:03PM
When i search my website using the sphider search engine it dose not find any numbers. For example, If i type"3.8 Liter Hose Kit" it wont find it. But if i type "Liter hose kit" It dose. I have the numbers "3.8" listed several times on my website and the search engine dose not find it. ..... ????.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2010 09:32PM by athensley.
Re: Strange search question.
July 01, 2010 06:23PM
Did you mark the " Index numbers" settings in Sphider Settings?

If you didn´t then switch it on, erase your database and index your site again.

Hope this helps.
July 01, 2010 09:52PM
Ok i went to settings and i made sure that "index numbers" was checked. I saved my settings and then i re-indexed my site. Still a no go. Any other ideas?
July 02, 2010 07:19AM
Did you erase your database before reindexing, if you didn´t you should have done so?

I'm sorry, I don´t know anything more to suggest you, hopefully someone else will be able to help you out on this.
Tec
July 02, 2010 08:59AM
Does not work for original Sphider.
Statement of reasons: During index procedure all kind of special characters are replaced by a blank character. Special characters are nearly all those that do not fit (a - z) , (0 – 9) and (-_).
In ... /admin/spiderfuncs-.php
$file = preg_replace("/[\*\^\+\?\\\.\[\]\^\$\|\{\)\(\}~!\"\/@#£$%&=`´;><:,]+/", " ", $file);
Consequently “3.8” will become “3 8”, and both (separate) numbers are too short to be indexed. Also the value “three-dot-eight” is destroyed.

As you might have expected, Sphider-plus solves this issue.

Tec

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2010 09:38AM by Tec.
October 27, 2016 06:55PM
Tec,
Could one simply remove the \. from the above mentioned line of code to allow indexing of the special character "."? I really need my visitors to be able to search 7.3 Liter. I checked out sphider-plus, but it is more than I need right now, and I am on shared hosting and may have problems using it correctly.
Tec
October 28, 2016 07:51AM
<<< Could one simply remove the \. from the above mentioned line of code to allow indexing of the special character "."?>>>

Yes
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login