Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

not indexing all words/numbers on page

Posted by neuroticartist 
not indexing all words/numbers on page
September 15, 2010 05:54PM
My apologies of I am posting something that is already here, I have looked thru the forums but could not find an answer.

I am using Sphider 1.3 on a site with hundreds of pages. in these pages contain tables with several dozen parts for lighting fixtures each with a part number. while it seems that Sphider is finding the majority of these pages it isnt finding all of them, and it is not indexing all the contents of the pages, when I do a search for a part number or a part name that is in the page but not in the meta keywords or page title it is returning ) results.

the site in question is http://www.lightparts.com and the search is up and usable if anyone would like to test it out. Find a random lighting company on the navigation links, then choose a product, select a random part number then search, it wont show any results.

how can I change this? Ive tried a full index, re-indexing several times, making sure "index numbers" is checked, and different options selected but to no avail I cant seem to make it work. I think I may be over looking something simple.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2010 09:52PM by neuroticartist.
Re: not indexing all words/numbers on page
September 16, 2010 04:28PM
does anyone have any suggestions? I cant leave a search that doesnt work on a commercial site and need to remove it, if anyone would like to test it its new home is:

http://www.lightparts.com/index-w-search.php

thanks in advance for the help! anyone?
October 18, 2010 02:43PM
still cannot find a resolution to this, Ive triple checked all my settings and keep reindexing but it rarely shows any results sad smiley
when I index the site it seems to be checking links on the page but doesnt catalog the words and numbers on the page. Finding the part numbers is extremely important to this website...

At this point Im willing to pay for help! Anyone?!?! I really like how easy it is to integrate Shpider into the site but I have to find a resolution.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/2010 04:44PM by neuroticartist.
October 27, 2016 06:29PM
I am having a similar problem as well. What I think is happening, according to Tec anyway, ..."but be aware that original Sphider does not index any special characters like dots and hyphens. So dates will be destroyed.
2009-01-27 will become
in database.
Also keep in mind that Sphider will not index the number '1' if '01' is already part of the database."

is that my part numbers that have a "." in them are being broken up into two keywords, so when a visitor types 7.3 Liter, they really need to type 7 3 Liter, or they won't find anything. Perhaps, your part numbers have a special character in them causing the same problem? I do hope someone finds a fix to this. I am loosing a lot of searches due to the ".".
October 29, 2016 11:17AM
Similar problem here too.

Search is by part number often and the part number includes letters, numbers and full stops. eg

XXX.12345.UK

Is there a way for these to be indexed and returned in search results?
Tec
October 29, 2016 03:00PM
Have a look at
http://www.sphider.eu/forum/read.php?2,7720,7727#msg-7727
and the following threads

Tec
October 29, 2016 05:48PM
Thank you - that worked smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login