Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

embedding into a CMS - Joomla or Drupal

Posted by bkhphoto 
embedding into a CMS - Joomla or Drupal
March 28, 2007 08:43PM
I am interested in embedding this wonderful script into a CMS either drupal or joomla. Php include does not work exactly. I know I can use with an iframe, but when you click on a result it does not open in a new window or just go to the other website, but stays nested within your website.

So... has anyone been successful in embedding it into a cms or making it where you click the results it will open a new page. How was it done, if you have

Re: embedding into a CMS - Joomla or Drupal
March 30, 2007 06:29PM
i have some experience working with Joomla and adding/editing pages so i may be able to help you with that if your wanting to use Joomla. I would look into Static pages for embedding it though if you wish to tackle the issue yourself
March 30, 2007 07:11PM
I think I am closer to having it done than a couple of days ago. I was able to to use a static page with kl_php to include the php script. I was also able to get the same results, which produced a nicer looking address by using the "custom pages" component.

Once it hits the script, the paths get messed up. When I click on a category link it goes to h t t p://xxxxx.com/index.php?catid=300. This is not correct so it just goes back to the index page. I think it is how the path is referenced in the script, but I am not sure how to adjust it.

I think that changing the following code in search.php should fix it, but I am not sure. I think the path needs to make it realitive to joomla.
$include_dir = "./include";

$include_dir = "./include";
$template_dir = "./templates";
$settings_dir = "./settings";
$language_dir = "./languages";

If this is it, I know there is realitive path code in the rest of the
script that I can make the same changes to.
Do I just need to just hardcode the exact address of my script into the script? I have tried adjusting the realative paths in the script, but so far no luck.

Thanks in advance.
March 30, 2007 08:18PM
hardcoding the exact address of the script may work im not totally sure though, its worth a shot...

in your joomla installation what plugins/mods do you have installed, i had a rough time with mamblog and its naming conventions, also if your using any kind of SEF/SEO mod you may want to check that

in your admin face make sure your menu item is pointing to the correct link for your search.php, you may also try hardcoding an include "search.php" in a normal page say the index.php of your joomla installation which i think is in your template directory
March 31, 2007 06:57PM
Tried hardcoding it in with no luck, only success I have had is with the wrapper option in joomla, and editing my templates code to have the links open in new page. But that is not exactly what I needed I need it integegrated though, so I can link the different categories to menu items. That way I can then link content to the categories. Is this just not possible with sphider?

Thanks for any other help.
June 03, 2007 07:57AM
I created a Sphider searchbot for Joomla (only tested on 1.0.X), which allows you to include Sphider search results in your normal Joomla! search results.

As it is set up now, you have to enter the name of your Joomla database as a parameter in the searchbot (i.e. "sphiderdb=databasename"winking smiley in the Administration panel (Mambots > Site Mambots > Sphider Searchbot). If you don't specify the database, then it looks for a database called 'sphider'. If it doesn't find a database, then it fails silently.

Please send me a reply via PM if you'd like to try it and I'll send you (or any other Joomla users who are interested) a copy for testing. I haven't released it yet because I want others to test it first.
If you want a demo then you can go here: http://www.mlgrant.com/index.php?option=com_search&Itemid=99999999&searchword=resume . Sphider results are labeled as 'Sphider fulltext search'.

Anonymous User
June 12, 2007 07:48PM
Please keep informing about your progress.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login