Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

My updated sphider 1.3.7 beta

Posted by yappadoo 
My updated sphider 1.3.7 beta
January 16, 2014 09:43PM
After using sphider awhile on a production machine, i decide to rewiev the code rigorous.
What i found was highly "optimizable".

What i found was a big (non)escaping massacre. The code uses addslashes() and similarly as substitute for mysql_real_escape_string(), htmlentities() and urlencode().
Response-Variable-Parsing was only rudimentary implemented. You can find cruel things like extract(getHttpVars()).

BUT: Sphider is a nice thing. Its small and easy to use (as i do today). So i improved Sphider:
- First i escaped all relevant sql-query variables.
- Then i escaped all relevant html outputs.
- Believe me: This was hell. Look into the code, see the coding style and you know what i mean! An the changes were on many hundreds locations.
- After that i "beautified" the code a little more (replaced "<?" and "<?="-Open-Tags a.s.o.).
- Then i made the name of the "search.php"-Page configurable.

(You can find all my changes on the Changelog inside the file)

The updated Sphider has the potential to be more secure and more sustainable then the 1.3.6.
Now it's on you to test it.

[url=http://www.yappadoo.org/sphider-1.3.7.b2.zip]Download and check sphider-1.3.7.b2[/url]

Comments on this version very welcome!

P.S. I strongly recommend to use a .htaccess to passwordsecure the "Admin" Script (on all versions of sphider)!

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2014 08:10PM by yappadoo.
Re: My updated sphider 1.3.7 beta
January 17, 2014 11:25AM
hi my friend

good work

- iwont this script to supported for arabic site indexing
- add url page for visitor.
- ad mangment system .
- new template for future ajax & new desing
January 17, 2014 12:13PM
hello aksfl,

I don't want add new features to Sphider. My intention was just security enhancement.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2014 12:14PM by yappadoo.
March 09, 2014 03:18PM
Thanks, it looks good.
A few years ago I tried to do the same, but I stopped because it was too much work.
I like the small and simple from Sphider. I've tried also Sphider Plus, works good, but has too much stuff that I don't need.

If you want see my running version, you must be quick, because I go to remove it:
It indexed about 6000 pages in an about 200Mb database

August 07, 2014 04:26PM
Hi yappadoo,
during installation of your 1.3.7 beta version following error message appears:
Deprecated: mysql_pconnect(): The mysql extension is deprecated and will be removed in the future: use mysqli or PDO instead in /home/.sites/xxx/site9999999/web/sphider/settings/database.php on line 8
Error: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '(14), elapsed float(2), results int, key query_key(query))' at line 3
Creating tables failed. Consult the above error messages.

Do you have a "1.3.somthing mysqli-version" also?

Thx, manu
October 23, 2015 05:21PM
It works great.
Thank you for sharing!

couple of things if you can help with:

1. suggest framework does not work

2. I see same error in the error log as mentioned by @manu above.

Again, thanks for sharing.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login