Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

[Sphider plus] Word with accent different with no accent ?

Posted by laurent_h 
[Sphider plus] Word with accent different with no accent ?
November 17, 2008 12:14PM
Hi,

we use Sphider plus but when user searches for 'chaudière' is different to 'chaudiere'.

How can we change this settings to find word with accent like word with no accent ?

Regards Laurent

--
Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2008 12:14PM by laurent_h.
Tec
Re: [Sphider plus] Word with accent different with no accent ?
November 17, 2008 07:51PM
Please try to use "Tolerant Search".

If enabled, this mod equalizes search input for e=é=è=ê and all the other vowels like: ä=a=à=â , ü=u , o=ö etc. The upper-case letters like Ä=A are also taken into account. Tolerant search overwrites the 'Distinct results for upper- and lowercase queries' setting and will mark all results.

If it doesn't work for you, please let me know.

Tec
November 18, 2008 01:39PM
Hi,

Thank you for your help,

I use sphider plus 1.6 but I can't found this option ?
I must edit the settings/conf.php directly because I don't have the correct right.

Which variable I have to edit please ?

--
Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2008 01:47PM by laurent_h.
Tec
November 18, 2008 02:58PM
Hello Laurent,

Don't change anything in Admin settings.
Please notice the differnt search modes in the 'Search fom' that is presented if you want to search for 'chaudière'

Tec

p.s. If it works for you, we will have to prepare search.php so that 'Tolerant search' becomes default.
November 18, 2008 03:11PM
Hi,

thank you I force the get parameter type to tol,
it works but will nor return the same number of result

type 'chaudiere' is different to 'chaudière'
I send you a private message with the test link

--
Thanks
Tec
November 18, 2008 10:01PM
Hello Laurent,

Without knowing your Admin settings, there is no way for me to explain different result counting.
Might be different counts because there are both words to be found on your site, or one of them is part of the URL or title or meta description, or perhaps the equalisation for e=è=é=ê delivers different results.

Tec
November 20, 2008 04:15PM
Thank you, now it works

--
Thanks
Tec
November 20, 2008 06:27PM
Hello Laurent,

Hmm, I'm not satisfied with the actual situation. Even if it works for you. Because meanwhile I found a bug in the equalization routine. Depending on the charset of the site to be indexed your version cant work correctly. This bug 'appears' e.g. if a site is ISO8859-x coded and has to be converted into UTF-8. As your site is already UTF-8 coded you don't recognize the bug.

In order to solve it, open file ...include/searchfuncs.php and search for:
    $acct_e = array("ê", "é", "è", "è", "é", "é", "È", "È", "É", "É"winking smiley; 
    $base_e = array("e", "e", "e", "e", "e", "e", "E", "E", "E", "E"winking smiley;
Delete these 2 rows and replace them with:
    $acct_e = array("ê", "è", "ê", "é", "è", "è", "é", "é", "È", "È", "É", "É", "È", "É"winking smiley; 
    $base_e = array("e", "e", "e", "e", "e", "e", "e", "e", "E", "E", "E", "E", "E", "E"winking smiley;

Tec
October 30, 2011 05:51PM
Hello, I have a problem with searches that include words with accents. For instance, if I write "cancion" (without the accent) no results are shown and I am asked whether I meant "canción" (with the accent). That is, the accented word and the unaccented one are considered 2 different words. I wonder whether there is any way to configure the search engine in order to make it ignore accents in the words that are submitted.
The same happens with Sphider 1.3.5 and Sphider Plus 1.6
The collation of the database is UTF8 bin
Is there any possible solution to this?
Thanks for your help in advance.
October 30, 2011 08:39PM
Sphider-plus support can be found on [url=http://www.sphider-plus.eu/]the Sphider-plus website[/url].

This board is for original Sphider support

Thank you for your understanding.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.